Yesterday was our appointment at Texas Children's Hospital with Dr. G. We headed out at 5:30 in the morning, and other than the usual flopping around when trying to get dressed, Rachel did really well. Carlton and Timothy went with us and he did really well too. They both fell asleep on the way there of which I was glad.
I was so glad when we got there that Carlton had decided to come with me. Fannin Street, which runs in front of the hospitals, was blocked off with fire trucks, ambulances, and police cars! We needed to go down that street to get to another street that would take us to parking garage #16. Now, if you knew me really well you would know that this would normally set me in a panic! Carlton had the navigation on his new phone turned on so it recalculated the route, but everywhere it told us to go to get to the address we were given was blocked off. SO, we had to park several blocks away in a garage down in front of Methodist Hospital. Now, if I had been by myself and this had happened..........it would have gotten ugly...........but I had my "boy" there to help me!
Anyway, we found our way to one of the buildings marked as Texas Children's and I immediately found a receptionist and got directions to where we needed to be and we were there within a couple minutes! :) Then the next "disaster" happened! I had left my little thingy that holds all my credit cards and insurance cards and everything like that AT HOME!!!!! But at this time it was not really a BIG deal...I just turned to my man and asked him for his.........That is when it became a big deal!!!!!!!! (honetly this time it was only a big deal to me and not him....suprisingly!)
He looked at me and told me that his was in the truck. I looked at the receptionist and asked if we could just send in the payment and she said that they would not see us if we didn't pay first! SO, Carlton looked at me and asked me what the name of the garage was that we parked in and I told him. Then he quietly headed toward the elevators grinning and shaking his head. I knew what he was thinking....."if I hadn't come this whole situation would have just gotten ugly!" AND he was RIGHT. I just don't handle that kind of stress very well! Then when my man came back he was carrying....STARBUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!! You don't understand.....he thinks that place is nothing but a rip off. He just smiled and said, "Just remember who takes care of you!"
Anyway, for the part you all were really wondering about.....we finally got in to see the doctor. We sat and talked to him for about an hour....no kidding....we talked to him for about an hour about Rachel's diet, eating habits, exercise, behaviors....everything. Then he told us that he does not believe that it is an acid problem and told me to stop giving her the Previcid. He said that he believes that it is a bowel issue related to the consumption of sugar. We had already told him that we don't let them have a lot of sugary foods on a regular basis. Then he pointed out that with all the "holiday" foods that she has had in the past several months, since around Halloween, that she has had more sugar in her diet than usual for her. Therefore, causing much more discomfort.
We talked about how when she was about 18 months old we had a similar discussion about her. When he saw her then he basically cut out her apple juice and told me to giver her white grape juice if she wanted juice since it has less sugar, and then I had to put her on Lactaid milk. We did what he said then and the problem we were having (a severly distended belly) went away. But at that time, she was still on a pretty "parent guided" diet. Now she can pick and choose what she wants, in a lot of cases (church, daycare....). He stressed the importance of making sure she eats ALL the vegetables on her plate. He said we didn't have to make her eat everything else, but we needed to make sure she eats all her veggies........makes sense doesn't it! He said that he wants me to monitor the foods she eats, keep a log, to see how much sugar she is actually taking in daily.
Then he wants me to watch her poop! Yes her poop! He wants me to feed her something like corn, since it is not digestable, and see how long it takes it to come out. He said the normal passage of corn would be no longer than 24 hours. This would help him to determine more about her bowels. He said that a person could poop everyday and still be constipated. He told us about a patient he had one time that he diagnosed as being constipated and the parents acted as if he was crazy. He told them to feed her some corn and to let him know when it passed. So they did and 9 days later they called very concerned since the corn had NOT passed! They had to do some procedures on the poor child and now things are fine he says. He did not think this was the case with my little princess, but wants us to monitor that a few times to make sure.
Well, that's about it! Monitor her sugar intake and her poop and we will see if this makes a difference. IF it doesn't then we will make another appointment to discuss what's next. But if he believes this is the problem, then so do I. I have seen this man's "work" on some of my severly handicapped students in the past, and I trust him fully because of it!
Just keep her and us in your prayers. We are about to make some big changes in our diets at home. It will probably bother the little people in our house the most, but it might be an inconvience for the big people every now and then. But living healthier trumps a little inconvience!
Some Things I’ve Loved Wearing
7 months ago








6 comments:
It sounds like he gave you some wonderful advice. YAY! I love that he first wants to correct this naturally. So many doctors will just hand out another pill. Sounds like you found somebody really balanced. It's so nice that he took so much time with you.
I absolutely agree. I was having major medical issues before we switched our diet. You know that. That has all corrected itself. It is hard because even things you think have no sugar do have it. I had to really start reading the labels to find out what does and doesn't. I found that even some of the veggies I used to buy had corn syrup. YUCK!!!! :0( No more canned veggies here. It's not that we don't have sugar. We probably still have too much. We are about to go make holiday cookies. Hee hee hee.. but at least we know how much we eat because it's not in every food we eat.
OH and you might want to try putting raw honey in some things instead of sugar. Raw honey is YUMMY.... have you tried it? Also I use pure cane sugar instead of processed sugar when I do use it. E-mail me if I can help girl. Major hugs.
I am so grateful that this is something that you can address with diet. What a blessing.
OH by the way. Huge kuddos to your sweet hubby. Way to go!
HUGS! Angel
Hey! Sorry I've been absent for a while!! I've gotten addicted to online shopping and haven't been blogging as much!!!
I'm sorry to hear about Racheal's tummy problems! I will be praying for her (and you too! Changing diet? You better believe I would need some prayers HA)
Merry Christmas!!!!!!!!
Oh, I forgot. Jack loves to look for corn in his poop!!!! (ITS STILL IN HIS DIAPER!!!!!)
when will he ever start using the potty?????
Sounds like your doctor is one of the good ones. It's so nice to have a direction to work towards.
It's awesome that God had your man go with you. It's the little things that make us realize how much we depend on them.
I second the raw honey! It's way better than the grocery store stuff.
We'll keep you in our prayers,
Valeri
I'm so glad for the Dr's diagnosis!! I was praying for you and meant to get an email off to you to let you know I was thinking of you yesterday. It is a blessing to have a Dr. who will START with the diet and go from there.
Your Boy gets some major cred! What a guy...he must know you well and love you lots and lots.
Thanks for the update!! And keep us posted on the corn. We want to know how everything comes out....
Catching up on my reading FINALLY. I hope you're having a fabulous holiday vacation! I hear ya on the diet thing.
I'm pretty much positive (without official tests confirming it but on doctors' advices nevertheless) that I have celiac disease. And it is pretty common that people who have it also have have children with it. I would almost guarantee at least one, maybe two, of my kids have it.
i went on a completely sugar free diet last Christmas. no sugar or yeast of any kind - not fruit, not honey, no bread, no potatoes, no corn, no peanuts, cashews, or peanut oils - not a single thing your body could turn into sugar or yeast. i took pills that killed sugar and yeast - "candida" pills and man, did i ever start feeling better. I was STARVING b/c I didn't know how to do the diet right the first time around, but I ate a TON of salad and soup and veggies. I felt SO MUCH BETTER.
I do the same thing with my kids fairly often. we eat very little bread, pasta, refined foods. no processed anything if i can help it. I buy all fresh ingredients and make pretty much everything from scratch. when you're only working with veggies, meats, and maybe some rice or fruits, it's not hard to do. the baking from scratch is the hard part, but baked goods really aren't all that healthy, so we skip them a lot.
also, garlic is the best thing you can ever eat or take. it kills pretty much everything bad in your body and helps restore your immune system a lot. when the kids hint of possibly getting sick, or kids we know nearby get sick, out comes the garlic, dairy is completely nixed, sugar disappears, and wah-lah the sickness is avoided. Whew. Gotta love garlic. And soup. Chicken soup in particular (no noodles). (I have a great recipe if you want it.)
It's really not that hard once you get it down. And our bodies aren't our own. Our bodies don't define us. Like CS Lewis said, "You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body."
Have a great holiday!
Post a Comment