My dear hubby is picking up on my desire to make our home "presentable" and to make it a Sanctuary. For years now we have only had one picture that SOMETIMES hung on the wall. It is a huge Betty Spooner picture that has some names of God on it. A beautiful picture, but the only one and I say sometimes hangs, but if it is not hanging it is leaning. Like now, it sits on the mantle and leans on the wall. I have seen this done and like it, so we are trying it.
Anyway, this Christmas my dear hubby got me 3 of the 4 pictures below. We had one that Carlton had gotten at our last church as a going away gift. It had been in a closet since we moved into our current home. The picture didn't turn out so well, but they say Faith, Hope and Love, and the bottom middle one says Amazing Grace. I know they are just materialistic things, but the day we hung them I looked at my dear hubby and told him that the house already felt "comfy" just by adding this little touch in the entry.
Now for the kitchen.....I love my kitchen. It has white cabinets (which I sometimes don't love), stainless steel sink and appliances, and island with a JennAire stove top, new hardware, tile and marble backsplash and marble countertops. The first two pictures are of my CLEAN kitchen. It is beautiful from this angle. (sorry the pictures are a little dark)
Oh, did you see that bowl of fruit Company Girls??
But then there is this part.......the part I just can't seem to get control of.....the built in desk with the shelves above and the fridge! I had neatly placed some things from my grandmother, and others in those shelves. However, everytime I "clean" up around the kitchen, or the living room and I find things that I don't have a "place" for, they end up on this desk or on the shelves!!! Then there is all the stuff on the fridge. I like a little something on the fridge, but the kids want ALL their stuff on the fridge. What do I do with it all??? We really did want doors on those shelves, but that hasn't happened yet, and until it does, I really need some since of order here. Do you have any suggestions???










4 comments:
Love your kitchen, mine is sort of the same set up with the cabinet next to the fridge, it is my very own dumping zone. HATE IT!
I have a basket there now which holds files so the mail get sorted, (on a perfect day, HA) and filed away. I only keep a candleabra on top of the fridge, so it stays pretty and then I can eisily get into the cupboard behind. Those open shelves, I would arrange some beautiful things there and then make sure that you don't stash stuff there. Clean out another closed cupboard for stashing things to put away.
Be diligent on that point, even writing yourself a note and hang it on the "pretty" cupboard for a while until you get in the habit of keeping it neat.
Stuff stuck to the fridge, I tend to have a hard time with, I try and put kids things on one side that isn't seen when you walk in, but I have sons reading chart on the front, notepad and magnet pen for listmaking.
Make your desk pretty, with a pretty jar for pens, basket for scratch paper, whatever, so that it looks terrific. I have a lovely floral lamp on my desk to pretty it up.
Oh another thought, stick some baskets IN your cupboard, like from IKEA or Target, so they fit the space, they you can dump some of those necessary things in them, but still keep the "pretty" look.
Oh, there I went and did it again, volumes and volumes.
Have a great day, my new friend.
Just looked again more closely, can you mount the modem on the outside of the cabinet, between the fridge and the cabinet? Ours has a notch on the back so we hung it up, clears the space on the counter. Then try and keep the cords tucked neatly behind the computer, maybe down the edge of the fridge.
Hey - send your pictures over to Lori at Orgjunkie.com and she will tell you just what to do. She has tons of pictures and organizing tips that have worked for LOTS of people now. Check her out!
I'm loving all the stuff you find on the internet, and I actually love your kitchen!! Wish I had a desk in mine!!!
OK, gotta' get to supper myself. I'm reading the blog backwards so I'll have to come back tonight and get more caught up. The kiddos seem to self-destruct at 5:00!!! =)
Post a Comment