Thursday, February 21, 2008

Nothing But Nets

NO, I am not talking about basketball this time....this is something way more serious and important than basketball. (Just don't tell Carlton I said that. I mean, don't get me wrong, he supports the cause, but to him, there isn't much more important than basketball. (heehee!!))

These two girls from our youth group felt led to join this campaign that provides mosquito nets for various countries in Africa. You may have heard about the campaign, they are partnered with the NBA Cares program, the People of the United Methodist Church, Sports Illustrated and the United Nations Foundation just to name a few.

The girls set out on a mission with the goal of raising $5000 by Easter. They started selling snacks on Wednesday nights before Encounter to raise money and at first it seemed to be going pretty good. However, after talking to them last night, it seems as if it has kind of "died down" a bit.

Here is the link to the Nothing But Nets site. When you get to the site you can watch a short informational video. Malairia is the leading killer of children in Africa. These nets can help save the lives of those children and their families. One net costs $10 and can cover 4 people!

If you can donate $10 or more, just go
here. It is the dontation site for the team these two created. They have had some donations, about $200, that is not reflected online yet. Please help them if you can!


Our Girls

Mother and child under their net.


A father haning their new net.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, I found your blog on momsblogs. I enjoyed reading, hope you dont mind if I stop by from time to time. My husband and I both work in a church, he is the youth pastor I am MDO director and church secretary...we have a little boy who is 3. I hope you will visit my blog sometime! http://accordingtoashley.blogspot.com/

Sheila said...

Hi I saw where you commented my daughter Ashley at http://accordingtoashley.blogspot.com/ I have enjoyed what I have read so far. You also sound like a very sweet person, I also have a blog if you would like read it sometime http://sheilathentherewere4.blogspot.com/