Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Potty Training




Okay...now potty training my son was, believe it or not, the easiest thing I have ever done! The hubby was determined that Timothy would be out of diapers/pull ups before Rachel was born, so by the age of 2, yes I said 2, he was COMPLETELY potty trained!


Rachel has been another story. She is a VERY strong willed child and is determined to do ALL things on her own. It has taken me MONTHS to relay this message to the hubby. I know she does not have a physical problem that keeps her from being potty trained, it is simply a matter of "I will do it when I want and not when you tell me!" If I tell her to go, she will hold it for hours. This past Sunday she went 5 hours without going at all!!


The other day we ran out of pull ups. I have been putting her in panties off and on for the past 6 months or longer. We would run out of them and I would go a few days with out buying them and would insist that she wear panties. But this weekend when we ran out I decided I was not buying them anymore. She still sleeps in her toddler bed with the mattress from the crib, so it is waterproof and I decided that if she allowed me to put on the "plastic panties" over her other ones then I would, but if not I was not going to fight her any more.


At home we have only had 1 accident and that was at night. I do not tell her to go, but I gently remind her that she can tell me if she needs to go and needs help. The daycare has been another story. The teacher is SO set on keeping her schedule with all the kids and I can't say I blame her. But I have taken Rachel in panties and pick her up in a pull up. This morning I told her that I had put EXTRA clothes in the bag. Then I asked her if it would be possible to let Rachel tell her when she needs to go to the restroom, or to allow her to go on her own. (the potty is in the room) The teacher looked at me with her hands clasped and said, "Well you see, Rachel is not potty trained well enough yet for me to do that! There are others in here that can do that, but she can't!" The mother hen in me almost came out right then!!! I politely asked her a second time to do what I asked and she said, "Ok, that's fine but if she potties on herself I WILL put her in a pull up!" I bit my lip let out a heavy sigh and left!


After I left I called the director and discussed the issue with her. She agreed that as long as Rachel has an extra set of clothes that she should be allowed to wear the panties and said that she would discuss this with the teacher.


Here is where I need your help....do you think I handled this situation correctly? Do you think this teacher will be so upset with me that she will take it out on Rachel? How do I watch for signs of that? Do I talk to the teacher about it more? She is already frustrated with Rachel for the past. All that has gotten better, so I feel that the teacher is thinking she doesn't want to go that route. What do I do?


Head on over to Shannon's at Rocks in My Dryer for another addition of Backwards WFMW

1 comment:

Brooke said...

I am SOOO right with you, girl!!! I am at my wit's end with my son and the pooping!!!!

I think you did the right thing by letting the daycare know how you wanted this handled. I feel like toddlers just use these pull-ups as a diaper....my son does anyway!!! I don't think she would mistreat your daughter because she's mad at you but if you have this concern I would talk to the director again. Good luck!

PS...Just be thankful you don't have to worry about terds in all the wrong places.....see post for explanation!!!! LOL