Thursday, November 8, 2007

Distracted, ADHD, Non-multitasking Homemaker!

OK, I will finally admit that I am a very distracted, ADHD, non-multitasking homemaker! I will also admit that I have this longing in me to have that home that is somewhat put together the majority of time, however, I go home from working 8 hours and I cook, feed, bathe, put to bed, then plop in front of the TV to veg a while and that is just on a day when there is nothing else going on in our family. Most days I also TRY to get to the gym, we have ballet and church on Wednesdays, etc.

ANYWAY, since I have been doing this blogging thing I have come across some very Godly women that have, through their posts, inspired me. They have helped me to reprogram my brain as to what it means to be a homemaker. I will dedicate this post to what many of them have "shown" me lately. I WANT and DESIRE for my home to be a sanctuary. I want my family to feel that they have a place to come to that is warm and inviting. I want my friends (churched and nonchurched) to feel the presence of the Lord when they walk in my home. I want my home to be one of peace. These are all things we all want right? We CAN have that and I WILL!!!

This post will be full of links to some of those posts that I have been inspired by. I am still pretty new to blogging, so I am not sure how to give those "rewards" and things, but they all deserve one!

Here are a few things I am going to start doing to achieve this goal;

1. Pray: I know that this is the most obvious thing to do, but let's be honest. Those of us that have gotten into the rut I have gotten into, have not been praying enough for their family and home. I can be honest. As terrible as it sounds.....and as much as it hurts, I have not BATHED my family in prayer as I should.

2. Minimum Maintenance: This is a start for me to get that home back in shape. Rachel Anne and her sister Katherine have really inspired me in this area. I had been lurking their blogs for a while before I started posting comments. I know they are not perfect but they have some really great ideas.

3. Holding my 3 and 5 year old more accountable: Who says they can't be held accountable for keeping their toys put away, "making their bed", picking up their clothes, etc..... Starting some kind of chore chart/reward system for them.

4. Setting up Schedules: Menus for the week, this has been a lifesaver for the last 3 weeks that I have actually done it and somewhat stuck to it. It has also helped the budget a bit! Weekly schedules, there are many to choose from but these are the two I will start "organizing my life with; working mom's schedule and a color coded weekly schedule.

Well, I guess that is enough to start with for this distracted, ADHD, non-multitasking homemaker. My prayer is that eventually I can drop this title and make it new!

I may add more thoughts to this later, but for now, I think this is enough to digest!

4 comments:

Rachel Anne said...

From one distracted, ADHD, non-multitasking gal to another, you are doing great! If there is anything to be learned, it is that even imperfect people can make something good happen at home, and I am proof of that. I love your enthusiasm and your determination! You go, girl!

Katherine@Raising Five said...

Yep, you pretty much described me, too! You have the heart, and the skills are a a lifelong process. Glad to be on this journey with you!

Brooke said...

I'm with you on our home being a warm and inviting place, a sanctuary. It's so hard when there are piles of laundry and the kitchen table stacked high with a week's worth of mail!!!! (I guess I need to get started cleaning! HA!)

Are you going to the Beth Moore conference in San Antonio next August??? Lisa from The Preachers' wife, Deb from Miss Corinthians, and I are flying together to go to the conference!!! I am sooo excited!!! I hope to get to meet you in person there!!!!

Liz said...

Hey Angie,

I just got around to visiting your blog this week, it has been a very hard week around here, Jes is still in Texas and we had a pretty major devastating thing happen so I'm just making the rounds this week. Anyway, I just wanted to say that you are doing great and just having the desire is more than half the battle. Liz