WOOOHOOO!!! Finally a day where my baby girl does NOT get in time out one single time! The last couple of months have been terrible with her at school. I have not gone a day with out hearing, "Rachel was in time out ____ times today for hitting, biting, pinching, kicking, climbing or simply not listening." It has been a particularly hard two weeks with her. One day my poor child spent a total of 46 minutes in time out. That is 23 times in time out in one day!!! Friday was the worst. One time while in timeout, she took the chair and was pounding her hand with it, and the other time she bit herself! I wanted to cry. Praise God, for the breakthrough today!!!!
I spent the weekend talking to her, as well I could, trying to figure out why she was so mad. Then I talked with one of her Sunday school teachers last night at church. She told me that things had gotten better with Rachel in SS. I asked her what she meant. I had not heard of any "bad" behaviors in SS. Then she said that she and the other SS teacher had a "system" with Rachel. The system is that one of them is pretty much with Rachel one on one.
SO I started thinking. Rachel has some control issues. She always wants to do things when she feels like doing them. I have noticed that if I tell her, "Go to your room!" She flat out refuses. But if I say, "Rachel, you have a choice, go to your room, or sit on the couch" (either is acceptable) then she will choose wich one she wants. This is all a control thing.
I did a lot of reading today on strong willed children and she fits the bill! I definitely have one of those children. Now I just have to figure out how to raise this precious gift without damaging her spirit!
Any suggestions????? Our son is nothing like this. I am at a loss. I know there is going to be a lot of prayer involved, but do any of you have any practical suggestions.
I spent the weekend talking to her, as well I could, trying to figure out why she was so mad. Then I talked with one of her Sunday school teachers last night at church. She told me that things had gotten better with Rachel in SS. I asked her what she meant. I had not heard of any "bad" behaviors in SS. Then she said that she and the other SS teacher had a "system" with Rachel. The system is that one of them is pretty much with Rachel one on one.
SO I started thinking. Rachel has some control issues. She always wants to do things when she feels like doing them. I have noticed that if I tell her, "Go to your room!" She flat out refuses. But if I say, "Rachel, you have a choice, go to your room, or sit on the couch" (either is acceptable) then she will choose wich one she wants. This is all a control thing.
I did a lot of reading today on strong willed children and she fits the bill! I definitely have one of those children. Now I just have to figure out how to raise this precious gift without damaging her spirit!
Any suggestions????? Our son is nothing like this. I am at a loss. I know there is going to be a lot of prayer involved, but do any of you have any practical suggestions.









1 comment:
Hey! Again, catching up as usual! =) I love the book called, Lord, I want to Enjoy My Children" by Henry Brandt and Kerry Skinner. It is an awesome Biblically based book on truly rearing and enjoying your children. We did it at church on a Sunday night discipleship course, and it made a huge difference for us. Of course, God's Word and prayer must be applied equally. =)
Praying for you!
Daisy
Post a Comment