This is one phrase that I feel we all use WAY too often. One that when I hear it, I often think..."SO, what's your point!" Don't we have the Spirit living in us? I know we are NOT God and will never be as perfect as Jesus, but why do we use this phrase so unconcernedly. Please know that I am not saying that I have never or will never use this phrase, nor do I condem others who do, it just something I have struggled with in the past couple weeks when I've heard it. This is a phrase my hubby and I could have chose to use just a few weeks ago, but instead, chose to tell the truth and own up to our mistake, confess our sin, seek forgivness and repent.
My friends, the past three weeks have been very
shocking......trying......testing.....emotional.....sad..... confusing.....tiring.....
and full of
searching....seeking....listening....praying.....hoping....healing.....repenting....
I have wanted to post about all this since it started on Jan. 11th, but God
has not allowed me to until now.
On January 11th, the kids and I stayed home from church because they were both a bit under the weather. My dear hubby went to the morning services, came home, then left around 4:00 to prepare for a meeting he had that evening. But before his meeting he was asked to attend a deacon's meeting around 5:00 or so. Anyway, right around 6:00 that evening he walked into the house. The kids had not napped, so as soon as he came in, I automatically started telling him,
"They are about to get up, eat dinner, then go to bed!"
Then it hit me.....what was he doing home???????
I looked at him and said, "What's wrong?"
He looked down, and said, "I need to talk to you." Then pointed to our bedroom. Immediately my heart began to pound in my chest for I saw the tears in his eyes. I know my husband, so I knew this couldn't have anything to do with infidelity or anything like that, but I couldn't imagine what would have him so upset, and home early from church.....Did someone die? Is someone seriously hurt?.....WHAT was going on???
I sat on our bed and he started talking.....
"I was asked to come to the deacons meeting." (me shaking head) "When I got there, there were only 5 of them (I am leaving out names) so I knew this was not good." (me asking "WHAT? Did they fire you??" not thinking they would've) "Yes, they did. (insert tears and loud crying)" (Me asking all the who, what, when, where, why, how soon questions....) Then the explanation came...
Hubby told me that when he entered the room they told him that our tithing record had been brought to their attention and that we had not tithed in the past year. Then they asked hubby if that was true, and why. He told them it was and shared with them a few reasons why things had been difficult, the house, medical stuff for the family (all the while knowing it didn't really matter ...). Then one of them pulled out a piece of paper with a resignation letter already written and told him that since this was true, they were asking for his resignation, effective immediately. He asked them if any grace could be given and one of them told him, "I am sure God will show you grace, it just won't be here." (those words still ring in my ear....but God is working on that!) They proceeded to tell him that with this resignation there would be 3 months severance, but if he decided to push the issue, they would be forced to fire him and he would loose the severance. Not wanting to risk loosing the severance, he signed the letter, handed them his keys and walked out.
He came home, we talked and sat in shock...................
There were many moments of my dear hubby and I asking God questions and saying things like, "How could we be so stupid? How could we let this happen to our family? How could we do this to You? God, please forgive us!"
Then there were questions and statements from both of us like, "What are we going to do with this house? We can't live here past March. What are we going to do? The foundation and plumbing are still NOT fixed, we can't sell it like this. What are people going to think? What are we going to do? What are we going to do? What are we going to tell everyone? How do we tell them? When do we tell them?
We were not given the option of going before the church to explain, or give reason for leaving. So hubby and I decided that the only thing we could do is wait until we were asked by others, then tell the TRUTH. "We were asked to resign because we had not tithed in 2008." That was the truth, and that is what we told others when we were asked.
The phone calls started that evening and hubby left his comments to what I stated above. He kept all his personal feelings about how things were held to himself. The others vented about it all, and everyone that called found it absurd that they would ask for his resignation so quickly.
Many of them asked us questions like, had anyone brought this to your attention before now? Had anyone asked you before now if things were ok, if you needed any help getting back "on track"? Did they tell you to take a couple months to get "caught up" then we will revisit this issue with you?
Our answer to those questions...."No, they didn't. Ultimately, we sinned, we are in the wrong. Do we like this, no, but what they accused is true."
When some told us, "we met with______ and gave them/him a piece of our mind....." I was very proud of how hubby responded....he simply told them, "I know you did what you felt like you needed to do, but I must be honest with you and tell you I find no joy in that." We know that ultimately this is a consequence of our sin. Do we like how it all came about, or how it was handled......no we don't, but does God like the fact that we have robbed from Him.....no He doesn't........
Through all this, GOD is teaching us SO much. HE is blessing us! I will share more about that in the next couple of days.
I ask one thing from you all.....Please pray for our house. We are finally getting everyone lined up to do all the work. Then it will go immediately on the market where our realtor really thinks it could have a contract on it in 30 days if not sooner! SO PRAY!!!
More in a day or two!








3 comments:
I am so so so sorry. Sending hugs.
My you continue to feel the presence of our Lord during this time.
I'm so sorry you are experiencing this. Your family definitely has my prayers..
Post a Comment